WIP Radio Personality Rhea Hughes

Author Topic: WIP Radio Personality Rhea Hughes  (Read 23922 times)

Buffy

• Jr. Lounge Member
  • Yeah, So What!!!
    • View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:55:42 PM »

This thread is dedicated to one of my favorite Philadelphia Sports radio personalities, and soon to be first time Mom, Rhea Huges. Congratulations!  She doesn't get enough credit for what she does on the morning show, but knowledgeable fans appreciate her fair, level headed, intelligent but often fiery approach to Sports. I'm a big fan, so U Go Girl!

AdVeN

• Full Lounge Member
  • All is not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: WIP Radio Personality Rhea Hughes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »

I like Rhea too. What ever happened to her Saturday show on WIP? I miss that. It was pretty good. She was very personable. They never have a regular woman host on WIP. And Rhea would be the perfect candidate.

Jade

• Full Lounge Member
  • Hen na gaijin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
Rhea's cool most of the times. She makes mornings with Angelo and Al better all around. Angelo Cataldi is a bonafide nut, but very entertaining, and Rhea is the Ying to his Yang. The only caveat I have about Rhea is that she gets a little too "Young Republican" and PETA-like at times. But overall, she is very professional, good natured and entertaining. She just needs to loosen up sometimes and not be so vindictive.
Beyond Good and Evil

Eraser X

• Full Lounge Member
  • X-ceptional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »
Rhea's a down to earth Philly Girl we all should be proud of:

Asked in the Out and About Interview: Whatís your least favorite part of workings Sports?

http://www.out-and-about.com/Default.aspx?DN=1680,1679,1678,1118,4,2,1,Documents

• She said,  "...What drives me nuts is that when anything goes wrong in Philadelphia, it becomes incredibly convenient for the team, the coaches, the players, the owner, and frankly a lot of the media people, to blame the fan. I lose my mind over that more than anything else. These people are your customers. What other line of business could you get away with criticizing your customers? Thereís a segment of the population thatís getting really tired of being the whipping boy. It really bothers me when media people do it. And what I found is that most media people who do it are not from here.

These people are not different from fans anywhere else. Iím really passionate about that, because you know what, these are the only people who arenít getting paid to watch the game. So yes, there are bad fans. But they arenít the majority of people. I deal with these people every day. I walk through the parking lot and I have 10 different spots I hit on the way into Eagles games, where I stop by people tailgating and I have something to eat and something to drink. When these people get ripped, it bothers me.
    "

What Philly fan doesn't love a true Philadelphian like that, but an idiot. ....maybe an Eskin fan ;)
ErAsEr X
"Prime numbers evaluated with the X-factor, instead of the Hype."

Donnie G

• Jr. Lounge Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:55 AM »
Rhea is good at what she does, but I am told by one of the producers on the morning show that she is hard to work with. ...even Bitchy!

Buffy

• Jr. Lounge Member
  • Yeah, So What!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
To all Rhea Hughes fans!
          Well folks, the long awaited arrival of Rhea Huughes baby came today, tuesday, August 4, 2009, at 2:10 AM. Rhea Hughes gave birth to her first child. roud hubby Joe Cohn was on the radio this morning and was delighted. He's a little more quiet and less polished than Rhea. The stork brought a bouncing baby boy, and Rhea and Joe named him Clark Hughes Cohn. He is a pretty big boy coming in at 16 inches and weighing 7 lbs 14 oz.

Congratulations Rhea!

DJ Richards

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Hey, it's cool to find a Rhea Hughes thread. She is an excellent broadcaster and hard worker who knows her sports. Thanks Buffy for starting this thread. Some of my friends don't like her, but if you ask me, that is because she is a woman who has an opinion about their beloved Eagle's management, and isn't just an empty-headed blonde. It cannot have anything whatsoever to do with her knowledge, hard work, integrity or professionalism.

Congratulations Rhea! Does she read this forum? I heard her say one time she does check out the forums or message boards.
1000 Watts and Smokin' Hot!

Al Muzio

• Jr. Lounge Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
Congratulations Rhea. I know you'll make a great parent. Keep him from making some of the mistakes that you made ;)

Mary

• Jr. Lounge Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
She's on maternity leave? She's got a better job than I have. I guess Morganti will have to carry that show until she gets back, since they are the only two with any common sense on that show.

WildCat

• Jr. Lounge Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
She's on maternity leave? She's got a better job than I have. I guess Morganti will have to carry that show until she gets back, since they are the only two with any common sense on that show.

When is she coming back? Because All Morganti is worthless for entertainment value. Once in a while he makes common sense comments, but usually he is just annoying. At least she keeps these guys in line once in a while, because without her Angelo runs wild making an ass of himself.

Cush

• Full Lounge Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Hey guys, I found this cute little blog spot, July 2005 Interview with Rhea Hughes, by Tom G. over at Balls, Sticks, and Stuff.

http://www.ballssticksstuff.com/2005/07/rhea_hughes.html

Thought you might like to read it. It shows how down to earth Rhea actually is, as Tom got to sit down and have a beer with her in an atmosphere of true Philly fandom and see just how knowledgeable she is.

Personally, I like Rhea as far as sports, but I think she has a personality flaw where she has some biases that she can't always keep hidden. I admit, her politics (decidedly right wing conservative) are a big turnoff, but also I don't like people who try to force their personal views about animals on other people (decidedly liberal). You can love animals all you want, but don't look at me like I have 10 heads because I think they're all just animals whether Bambi, a Goat or a Dog. She's very Peta-like, even though she claims she's not, and that rubs me the wrong way. Now I sound like I dislike her, but I really don't.

However, she's one of the few on WIP who actually likes Howard Eskin. And anyone who is a friend of Howard Eskin, can't be all good. And that I do mean!  :)

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
I use to like Rhea Hughes, until I think I met the real Rhea. That's when this Michael Vick hatred of hers came pouring out of her mouth daily like green vomit. Then I think for the first time I saw the real "spiteful" Rhea Hughes. Let's face it, this is a vindictive hate filled woman, who once you get on her bad side, she's like a vicious animal that attacks relentlessly. There is no forgiveness in her heart after that. And I suppose you get on her bad side when you do anything against animals. She hates PETA but then when it suits her she acts worse than they do concerning Vick. Once you are in her sights, there is never forgiveness. And that is the part that is very sad. The way she talked about Michael Vick, with such loathing and anger, you would only expect such hatred from someone who had their child killed. She actually called it disgusting that the Philadelphia fans actually cheered for Vick when he first took the field in preseason. And when some kids (kids now, not adults) cheered for Michael Vick in one of his neighborhood help sessions, she said it was "sickening and disgusting." Believe me, she hates this man and nothing that he can ever do for penance is ever going to change that. She's a tiny small minded little woman who's been around Angelo too long.

Sorry to be such a "downer," but yeah, I use to enjoy Rhea when she "acted" like a human being. But now she reminds me of "a Nazi Rosie O'donnell" with Diarrhea of the mouth. That's how annoying she is now.

Eraser X

• Full Lounge Member
  • X-ceptional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »

I use to like Rhea Hughes, until I think I met the real Rhea. That's when this Michael Vick hatred of hers came pouring out of her mouth daily like vomit.

Yeah, I use to enjoy Rhea when she "acted" like a human being, but now she reminds me of a Nazi Rosie O'donnell with Diarrhea of the mouth.

To be fair, it's not just Rhea Hughes, it's pretty much ever radio personality over there. They've all been bashing Vick non stop, because they know negative talk brings callers. And then when it dies down, they think of something stupid to bring it back up for conversation again. This week it's because he talked about how he was the chief guy who was used in the Wildcat offense. Another opportunity to thate on him for absolutely nothing.

But you rarely hear anything positive about anyone over there, unless someone is agreeing with them, they are tooting their own horns about breaking a story, talking about how their callers are the "Real Fans" or making some other asinine comment.

I like Rhea myself, even though she seems to be overly critical and have no soul at times, she is better than most, and can at least feign having a little objectivity. I just think being in that business, sometimes she forgets her humanity. But hey, I could be wrong and she hates Vick with a passion, but I'd like to think not.

ErAsEr X
"Prime numbers evaluated with the X-factor, instead of the Hype."

WordMann

• Full Lounge Member
  • Word Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
You're right, but it's not just Rhea. She always acts so self righteously in her indignation against others like Michael Vick. And yes, he has done reprehensible things. We all know that. But who told that her poop don't stink?

Now let's be clear, I'm not a Michael Vick fan by a long shot.  I just agree that these people have gone too far, and the venom with which they castigate people they don't like is way over the top. They are not good role models anymore than Vick, and that's all I can say.

Jade

• Full Lounge Member
  • Hen na gaijin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
Rhea Hughes loves animals and that's what drives her to be so outspoken and passionate about Michael Vick. I don't think she is venom filled at all, she just lets her emotions get the best of her sometimes because she loves animals, and what Vick did to them was so terrible. I wish she would be a little more forgiving, but that's just her conservative personality. I don't hold that against her.

Beyond Good and Evil